- libmp4v2 contains:
- mp4art - to extract a picture (or coverart from mp4)
- mp4info - to get meta data from mp4 streams
- mp4tags - to set metadata and picture.
- qt-fastload to move index to the front and making mp4 streamable
- When encoding:
- Change max GOP or IDR to around 5 seconds.
- 2-pass avg bitrate: 800 or even 500…
ffmpeg has a feature concat, like
ffmpeg -i concat:"video1.ts|video2.ts"
There is also a “concat” video filter that may be useful. See http://ffmpeg.org/trac/ffmpeg/wiki/How%20to%20concatenate%20%28join,%20merge%29%20media%20files
An alternative is gpac. One command it includes is MP4Box to concatenate MP4s
mp4box -cat sbd0.mp4 -cat sbd1.mp4 -new sbd.mp4
Of course the avidemux GUI can append files.
So far I have not been able to create a reliable media concat recipe.